Saturday, May 9, 2009

RUTH'S BLESSING: AN ARTICLE ON HOW WE TREAT OUR MOTHER'S

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
to each and every mother who visits my blog today.
May God richly bless and reward you
as you seek to honor Him.

I was looking for a book review on Scot McKnight's book The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible (the review addresses McKnight's erroneous views on a woman's role in the church in the book) when I came across another article on the same site, The Council on Biblical Manhood & Womanhood, entitled Ruth's Blessing: A Look at Titus 2:3-5 for Single Women. Although the article speaks about how a single woman views her mother, it really applies to all women, single or married. Being a middle-aged woman and mother myself, I was really touched by this article and the author's personal story of her relationship with her own mother. My mother passed away ten years ago this July and although I miss her terribly, I would never wish her back. I thank God for the time we had together and rejoice that she is in God's presence. My father has since remarried and I truly appreciate the mothering I have received from his current wife. I even call her "Mom", since that is currently the role she plays in my life. She has given me wise counsel, comfort, and the assurance of her prayers many times. She recently had a hip replacement and has been the recipient of my own prayers during this time as well as others. I consider myself honored and blessed to have not one, but two caring mothers, one in heaven, and one on earth.

I hope you will read this article and reminded of the special role your mother has to play in your life. If you have a troubled relationship with your mother, I pray that you will take the time to do everything you can to restore it. Time is so short. Mothers aren't perfect, but then again neither are their children. Do all you can to imitate the character of Christ in your relationship with her and honor her with a special blessing this Mother's Day.

No comments: