Monday, January 7, 2008

ADDENDUM TO "THE GOLDEN RULE ~ PT 2"

I was browsing through our local library today to see if I could find something for my son to read when I decided I should look for something by new ager Scott M. Peck for research purposes, when what should to my wondering eyes should I see . . . something written by Hans Kung, one of the creators of the Golden Rule Bears mentioned in my previous post. I went to the computer at the end of the bookshelf to see if I could find anything else by him and discovered he has written quite a few books. I also discovered that he is considered the most prominent Roman Catholic theologian living today. He has been (or is) professor of Dogmatic and Ecumenical Studies at the University of Tubingen, West Germany and is the co editor of various periodicals and recipient of several honorary doctorates ~ no small potatoes!! And I didn't know!!

Among the books he has authored are On Being A Christian (that should be an interesting read seeing he is a Roman Catholic theologian); Eternal Life? Life After Death as a Medical, Philosophical, and Theological Problem (hmmmm); Christianity and the World Religions: Paths to Dialogue with Islam, Hinduism, and Bhuddism (oh yeah?); and Theology for the Third Millenium: An Ecumenical View (no surprises there!).

Well, I guess that explains his motivation for creating the United Buddy Bears. Somehow I am no longer surprised when I find out there is a Roman Catholic connection to all things ecumenical and interfaith ~ they just seem to go hand in hand. I guess the old axiom, "If the shoe fits, wear it" would apply here.

Anyhoo, just thought my readers might find this information as interesting as I have. Till next time...

******************************

No comments: